You can set up the Nintendo 3DS to limit access to certain features which may not be suitable for the age of the child using the console. The following instructions apply to all systems in the Nintendo 3DS family including Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and Nintendo 2DS.
Parental Controls can be found in System Settings. The options available are subject to change with system updates. We advise that you periodically review the parental controls to ensure they still meet your security requirements. For the latest information, refer to https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Parents/Safety/Nintendo-3DS-and-2DS-Parental-Controls/Setting-Nintendo-3DS-and-2DS-Parental-Controls/Setting-Nintendo-3DS-and-2DS-Parental-Controls-907330.html
These controls allow you to limit access to game software, features allowing the exchange of personal data, internet browsing, etc. As these controls affect the operation of your Nintendo 3DS system, you may, at times choose to override them to allow an adult to access content.
1. Power on your Nintendo 3DS system and from the ‘Home’ screen, navigate to ‘System Settings’, and select ‘Parental Controls’.
If you are under the age of 18, please have a parent or legal guardian configure the settings for you.These settings do not apply to Nintendo DS software.Create a Password
1. These controls are protected by a 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) which will be used to prevent access to restricted functions. You will need the PIN to set up the parental controls, to switch them off or to change them. When you set the parental controls for the first time, you will be asked to set the PIN. We advise you not to share the PIN with your child.
2. Create a four-digit PIN.
3. Enter your PIN again.
4. Select a secret question to use in case you forget your PIN. This will be used to verify your identity.
5. Choose from the following questions:
• What did you call your first pet?
• Where were you born?
• What is your favourite sports team?
• What was your favourite birthday present?
• What is your favourite film?
• If you could go anywhere, where would you go?
• You can also create your own secret question.
6. Enter your answer to the secret question, using at least four characters.
Remember this will appear exactly as you entered it.
You can also register an e-mail address which will be used in the event that you forget your PIN. If you forget your PIN and the answer to your secret question, a master key to reset your PIN can be sent to your registered e-mail address. If you have forgotten your PIN and the answer to your secret question, and not registered an e-mail address, you will have to contact Nintendo Customer Support.
Select ‘Done’ to complete the PIN and secret question setup.
As a precautionary measure, certain functions are restricted by default. Refer to the Operations Manual for details.Parental Controls Settings
Configure how you would like to restrict your child’s use of the Nintendo 3DS system, referring to the information on the screen.Software Rating
Choose a suitable software rating for the user of this system. Each step to the right represents a higher level of restriction.
• Content suitable for all ages. PEGI 3.Some non-realistic violence in a comical, cartoon-like context, and nudity in a non-sexual context, may be permitted.
• Universal. BBFC U or UC.Content should be suitable for audiences aged four years and over. Content rated ‘Uc’ is mainly suitable for pre-school children.
• Content suitable for those aged 7 and above. PEGI 7.Some content may be frightening for very young children. Non-realistic violence towards fantasy characters, or to non-detailed human and animal characters, may be permitted. Parents may wish to check the game before they allow their young children to play it.
• Parental Guidance – General viewing, but some scenes may be unsuitable for young children. BBFC PG.Content should not disturb a child aged around 8 or older.
• Content suitable for those aged 12 and above. BBFC and PEGI 12.Realistic violence towards fantasy characters, and non-realistic violence to human or animal characters, may be permitted. There may be some sexual innuendo, descriptions and images (but nothing too extreme) as well as some mild bad language. May also contain gambling references.
• Titles rated 15 are suitable for ages 15 and older. BBFC 15.
• Content suitable for those aged 16 and above. PEGI 16Realistic and sustained violence may be permitted. The game may show non-graphic sexual activity as well as erotic or sexual nudity. It may also contain more extreme bad language, scenes dealing with drugs (including tobacco and alcohol), it may glamorise criminal activities, and may include gambling references.
• Content suitable only for adults, those aged 18 and above. BBFC & PEGI 18.
• Do not restrict.Internet Browser
The internet browser allows you to use the internet to browse websites. Nintendo 3DS Shopping Services
Restrict the use of credit cards, funding cards and online purchasing of content and services through the Nintendo 3DS Shopping Services. Display of 3D Images
(not applicable to Nintendo 2DS)
Restricts the display of 3D images on the 3D Screen. All 3D content in Nintendo 3DS software will be displayed in 2D. The use of the 3D feature is not recommended for children aged six and under.
Restricts users from viewing or posting content on Miiverse.Sharing Images/Audio/Video/Long Text Data
This restricts the transmission of data that may contain private information, such as images (including photos), audio, video and long text. Note; It does not restrict data sent by Nintendo DS software or Miiverse.Online Interaction
This restricts all online communication in games and the exchange of certain game data with other users over the internet (excluding Nintendo DS software titles and Miiverse).StreetPass
Restricts the exchange of data between users via StreetPass (Nintendo 3DS software titles only).Friend Registration
Friend registration allows you and the registered friends to see each other’s online status and current software title. You may exchange messages and freely exchange data that might contain personal information.DS Download Play
DS Download Play allows you to connect with nearby systems to download demos and play wireless multiplayer titles.Viewing Distributed Videos
Restricts viewing of distributed videos to those suitable for all ages. This setting does not apply to game-related videos found on Nintendo eShop, which can be restricted using the separate Software Rating setting.
For further information please visit https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Parents/Safety/Nintendo-3DS-and-2DS-Parental-Controls/Setting-Nintendo-3DS-and-2DS-Parental-Controls/Setting-Nintendo-3DS-and-2DS-Parental-Controls-907330.html